2/11/2010

32 years of waiting and suddenly...

I've lost the last bit of interest in Chinese men's football team. For as long as I lived, China has never won a single game against South Korea. Such was the curse our generation has to endure. What we suffered, time after time, is not simply the lost of games, but the lost of will to win. Starting around the same time of football league games, China, Japan and Korea took different trajectories, but China disappointed everyone by losing virtually all major games. Domestic league was poisoned by all possible problems. Ultimately, Chinese people, just like many of us, lost interest and stopped supporting our own team. For now we know, as we always suspected, there are big rats in the system, eroding the very foundation for a successful football environment. Though the arrests and the sudden win are coincident (maybe not?), I'd rather think that they are linked and from now on if we get rid of those rats and clean up the system, we can still make it work.
One game brings hope and confidence, but not a good system, which need long term construction. I caution myself from being too optimistic, but I certainly hope that the new leadership would not squander the opportunity this time. Finally, I have to agree with Huang Jianxiang at this occasion that we'll have a much better Spring Festival this year!

No comments: