1/08/2008

Dealing with the Dragon?

Before I wrote the next story, I want to put my letter to Paul Krugman regarding his op-ed on Jan. 4. 2008 a couple of days ago here to show my disappointment not only to him, but also to many American social scientists who are so good at explaining and predicting the United States (sometimes the world), but failed to understand China because they just don't want to spend time to look at it up close. I may not be accurate and informative in this letter as I should be due to my impulsive response at the time, but for the purpose I think it's enough.

Dear Dr. Krugman,

I am a loyal reader of yours for a long time and I think you are one of the finest economists in this country. However, when it comes to China, I can not believe that you repeat the common cliche and I have to say that's rather disappointing. Due to the limited space, I will make my comments short. 1. It's absolutely right to upgrade U.S.-China relations and for the next president to come up with a comprehensive China policy. Surely all of the issues you mentioned are important and urgent. 2. However, blaming skyrocketing oil price on the demand of China? Come on, if only will American save a little bit by not driving SUVs, adopt better construction material standards, improve railway system and reduce the number of trucks on the road, use existing efficiency technologies,build half a dozen nuclear power plants. The list can go on and on. 3. Imports? loosing jobs to China is no difference than to Brazil, Vietnam, Bangladesh, or whatever. If you want to save labor intensive jobs here in American, stop MNCs' profit seeking or maybe capitalism all together. A better national education and health care system may do more good than "take care of China". 4. Climate change? Save the historical carbon emission argument, or the per capita emission argument, the Chinese are truly cynical: they hide behind the Americans! Besides, when the industrialized countries "out-sourced" all polluting factories to China and India, what do you expect?
Finally, I don't want to pretend that everything is Americans' fault, but I do dislike the phrase "a good negotiator" as if negotiation can set these things straight. The U.S. do need a hero who can provide, not only transforming capacity here at home, but leadership and example to the world what American people can achieve and how much they can help other to accomplish the impossible.

Before I leave this page, the result of the presidential primary in New Hampshire is just coming out, and Hillary Clinton is giving a victory speech now. Since President Bush did such a terrible job in the office, America no doubt will have a very exciting and passionate election. Either a black or a woman President of the United States will be a revolutionary change in politics. However, whoever wins also has to face mounting problems created during the Bush years and that's why I think we should hope for a strong and creative leadership in this country to take on the mission of curing the American politics, economy and global warming.

No comments: